Sturt’s Winter School was first held in July 2006, offering around 15 courses. Based at the Sturt and Frensham campuses, it has become an important part of our calendar, inspiring students to creatively challenge themselves in a variety of art and design classes.
Professional Development Provider
Sturt is an endorsed provider of professional development by the NSW Education Standards Authority. Winter School represents a unique opportunity for educators to continue learning and expand their skills in a supportive and enjoyable environment.
Scope of Endorsement
- Standard 6 and Descriptor 7.4.2 of the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers at the level of Proficient Teacher
- Standard 6 and Descriptor 7.4.2 of the NSW Professional Teaching Standards at Professional Competence for the provision of Creative Arts related professional development.
Enjoy this winter in the Southern Highlands and rug up for a creative week of inspiration and enjoyment, led by Australia's finest artists and tutors.
Save the date for the Sturt Winter School 2021 from Monday 28 June to Friday 2 July. We are offering 15 Adult Courses and Daily Children Courses.
Courses run Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30 pm with lunch break and illustrated talks by tutors.
Meal packages available. On-campus accommodation is currently under consideration.
See below for the list of courses on offer.
WINTER SCHOOL 2021 - Monday 28 June to Friday 2 July
Adult Courses (provisional list 19 February 2021)
- Colours in landscape with Juliet Holmes à Court | Cost: $785 + 30 materials | Level: some experience
- Watercolour – fresh directions in drawing & painting with Malcolm Carver | Cost: $785 + 10 materials | Level: all
- Still life – painting in acrylic with Charlotte Thodey | Cost: $785 + 40 materials | Level: some experience
- Monotype printmaking with Tony Ameneiro | Cost: $785 + 60 materials | Level: some experience
- Drawing – figurative composition with Andrew Antoniou | Cost: $785 + 10 materials | Level: some experience
- Pastels: KISS – keeping it so simple with Tricia Taylor | Cost: $785 + 20 materials | Level: all
- Ceramics – working with glazes with Greg Daly | Cost: $860 + 50 materials | Level: experience only
- Ceramics – botanical figure with Helen Earl | Cost: $785 + 65 materials | Level: all
- Weaving new stories with Liz Williamson | Cost: $785 + 10 materials + loom hire | Level: all
- Creative knitting – tea cosy resurrection with Loani Prior | Cost: $785 + TBA | Level: some experience
- Sculpting with copper wire with Bronwyn Berman | Cost: $785 + TBA | Level: TBA
- Basketry – sculptural forms with Catriona Pollard | Cost: $785 + 110 materials | Level: all
- Wood – create a Kumiko clock using Japanese tools with Jason & Christian Timbs | Cost: $785 + TBA | Level: some experience
- Wood project – create a sunburst table – exploring veneers with Peter Young | Cost: $785 + TBA | Level: some experience
- Botanical dyeing with Sylvia Riley | Cost: $785 + TBA | Level: all
Children 1-day Courses @ $95/course - $440/week | 7-12 years
(Including materials, morning/afternoon tea and lunch)
- Monday 28 June: Mixed media and drawing with Slavica Zivkovic
- Tuesday 29 June: Shadow puppetry with Sue Wallace
- Wednesday 30 June: Sculpture: BUGS! - Critter creations with Sue Wallace
- Thursday 1 July: Ceramics – earth & clay creations with Machiko Motoi
- Friday 2 July: Ceramics – clay pot families with Machiko Motoi
For more information or book a course, contact Sturt Gallery – 02 4860 2083 or email@example.com
Full details and online booking will be available from mid March.