Short Courses 2016
WEEKEND COURSES | Saturday 29 & Sunday 30 October, 9.30am-4.30pm
Chair Project with Evan Dunstone COURSE FULL
Saturday 29 & Sunday 30 October
Level: All | Cost: $300 + materials TBA
The Alpha Chair Kit in Victorian blackwood was designed by Master Chairmaker Evan Dunstone to be a “chair course in a box”. Experience an intensive introduction to chairmaking with Evan himself by making an Alpha chair over an action-packed weekend. Additional Alpha kits can be purchased separately.
Floral Sculpture with Tracey Deep
SPECIAL EVENT coinciding with Sturt Exhibition, Shadow Poem
by Tracey Deep
Saturday 29 October, 1-4pm THIS DATE IS FULL
Saturday 5 November 1-4pm PLACES AVAILABLE
Covering knots with Angharad Rixon COURSE CLOSED
Saturday 29 & Sunday 30 October
All | Cost:
$180 + $220 materials
In conjunction with her exhibition, Tracey Deep will be doing a one-off course featuring her extraordinary floral sculptures. In a celebration of the Australian bush and focusing on sculptural architectural shapes, students will work with rare indigenous flora, seed pods and berries, exploring their lush graphic textures and raw natural earth bush tones. At the end of the course, students will have created a stunning floral sculpture to take home. Tracey Deep is a sculptor/installation artist whose focus is on the use of organic and industrial recycled materials. Tracey’s’ work ranges from living floral sculptures to large scale installations and is influenced by architecture and landscapes.
Level: All | Cost: $300 + $20 materials
Knots are not only a way of joining two threads or ropes, over the centuries they have been developed as sophisticated decorative elements which have been used as buttons, handles and decorations for swords and other arms, for the construction of beautiful handles for whips and walking canes as well as the complex world of tassels and passementerie.
The workshop will begin working with several variations on the Turk’s Head Knot to clearly understand the meaning of technical terms such as bight and lead and to practice starting from both flat and tubular knots, going on to explore a number of variations on these knots which are generally termed covering knots and can be used to encase or cover any number of forms from spheres to cubes and more complex volumes.
Work with tubular Pineapple and Gaucho knots and then examine how to dress them to make them fit perfectly around spheres and then we will go deeper into the geometry of Globe knots and how to design them for cubes and spheres of different sizes. At the end of the workshop each student will understand how to read and follow tying instructions and technical diagrams and will take home a small collection of forms covered with decorative knots which could be used as handles for small implements, walking canes or bell-pulls or simply admired as fascinating and beautiful objects.
To enrol in a course, please download the enrolment form below or online enrolment form and return to Sturt Short Courses, PO Box 34 Mittagong NSW 2575 or fax: 02 4860 2081 or email: email@example.com. For more information, phone: 02 4860 2083.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
SHORT COURSES TERMS & CONDITIONS
- ENROLMENT: Students are strongly encouraged to enrol early – at least 2 weeks out from the course commencement date. Late enrolments cannot be guaranteed a place or that the course will run.
- PAYMENT: Full payment is required to confirm your place in any course.
- CANCELLATION BY STURT: Sturt Craft Centre reserves the right to cancel or postpone any class due to under enrolment or other unforeseen circumstances. Courses with insufficient enrolments will be cancelled 2 weeks in advance of the course commencement date. In this case enrolled students will receive a full refund.
- CANCELLATION BY STUDENTS: No refunds will be given to enrolled students wishing to cancel less than two weeks in advance of the course commencement date. Students who cancel and wish to receive a refund before 2 weeks in advance of the course commencement date will incur a $50 cancellation fee.
- MINIMUM AGE for adult course enrolment is 16 years.
- PHOTOGRAPHY: Sturt reserves the right to photograph classes and to use these photos for publicity purposes only.